Tuesday, June 26, 2012

June, thus far

There is so much to write that I am going to recap instead of trying to back date my posts and feeling overwhelmed in that process. The month has been a gorgeous one. I am so content and happy with where I live and this amazing place that I get to call home. It has been comforting to be in one place, despite my whirlwind travel fun, and to nestle back into my house.


The Contemporary Dance Wyoming performances the weekend of June 15 and 16 were highlights, giving opportunity for the visual and performance arts to mix and mingle. It felt good to stretch my creativity and see it come out in a new art form for me, costume design. Watching the awe-inspiring dancers move in my creations, how the costumes would move and change with their bodies, the organic nature of the movement and material and shape coming together. Both the costumes and the dance changed during every performance: the dancers energy altering the feel of the piece and the pods crushing on the costumes in new and intriguing ways. I would check the costumes and repair any minor damages after each show and it was thrilling to see the shapes that the wire and clothe would take, different every time. This was a magical opportunity that only reaffirmed my respect and true devotion to Dancers' Workshop and the artistry that resides there.

Another moment was just last week, while catering for and with my friend Karen and her new business  Firebelly. Karen has a mobile wood-fired pizza oven that she trucks around to events and parties, creating delectably crispy pizzas with creative toppings for attendees to enjoy. A true art. It has been fascinating to learn more about pizza dough, about how to construct a good pie, and to enjoy some of the concoctions. We catered at this amazing home high on a Kelly butte last week, the Tetons and the Gros Ventre river stretching out before us. The sunset didn't disappoint, with yellows, pinks and oranges inking across the sky, framing the grand mountains. The owners have a pet crow that they rescued at birth (along with seven fabulous dogs. Someday I will have a pack.) that is tame and sits on the shoulders of those she is friendly with. I got to hold her and look in that fabulously intelligent bird's eyes and see her expressions up close, her clawed feet griping my arm. Only an hour before I rescued a stunned hummingbird and held the little bird on my finger tip before he flew away safely and soundly. The green of his wings and the purple of his chest...and the littlest eye imaginable blinking at mine. A magical evening of nature at her finest.

Lastly, my trip this past weekend to the City of the Rocks in Idaho, one of the most magical, tucked away places. Although it didn't seem so quiet due to the crowds (surprising), it was still wonderful to get away from the cell phone and computer and be surrounded by the huge masses of rock in a high desert surrounding. Camping with great friends and terrific doggies, climbing for three days after being away from the sport, relishing the feel of rock against fingertips and feet-a great weekend of fun. Climbing pushes me in ways that are both hard and so rewarding. I really think that the sport is one of the best metaphors for life, for working through fear and trying, whether your foot slips or not. Some days end in tears, other in smiles, and it is all okay. The new sliver moon was growing while we were there and on our last night, we were able to scale the rock next to our campsite and enjoy the sinking of the sun, our vista allowing us 360 degree views.

No comments: