Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Working With My Hands & My Voice

I forget how much I love gardening as a job, despite the back pains and the red stripe from the sun that can appear along your back from bending over. I fondly remember the summer after my sophomore year in college when I gardened with four good friends and stayed tan and fit. I felt a bit of that today, although maybe more conscious of how much older I am now. I love picking out plants, getting my hands dirty, and making gardens neater and tidier. You can see your work and your attention so clearly when digging in the dirt; the outcome is always better than when you started.

I also had my last Local Arts Classroom session today. It made me a little sad, partly because I could have gotten more out of it, strived to gain more from the experience. I realized that I have always felt this way about school, that I could have learned more by digging deeper, asking more questions. Being a listener is not a bad trait in the least but, when it comes to learning, sometimes it is seriously detrimental. We had to meet as small groups before today's session and talk about our experiences with the course. I was the group leader for my seven person group, a position I was randomly placed in. It was good for me to play that role and I always realize, when I am forced to do so, that I lead quite well and that when I say something, it can come out sounding articulate and thoughtful. I don't trust that ability enough. A good lesson today in being proud of my voice....

No comments: