Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Riches

I had a day when I wished I was independently wealthy, yet also quite happy with the riches of my life that are not monetary. The independently wealthy aspect was in regards to my job, wishing that I didn't have to work in order to live. And the riches in my life were in regards to my parents, my friends, my husband, and my dog. I wonder if I really would explore all of the activities and places I think I would if making money wasn't a necessity....Would my life be as diverse and as purposeful? I think partly I am just coming down off of the high of a really fun week. This often happens after a dance company leaves. The reality of the work that was neglected to make room for the socializing and running around raises its furry head and asks for attention.

I just got back from my book group. We read The Other Side of Desire: Four Journeys into the Far Realms of Lust and Longing. Up to now we had read what we all categorized as "pleasant" reads, nothing really too challenging. This book was not that. It showcases four different fetishes, four different desires that are not normalized in our society. Quite fascinating to explore the realms of sexuality....made me feel like I was back at Smith. This group of women that I meet with monthly is fantastic. They make me laugh and make me think.

Time for bed. A tummy full of Thai food and my new book beckoning. xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We wish that you were independently wealthy also, so that we would not have to work. Wish someone in this family was wealthy, but who have so many riches. What is the new book?? We love your blog writing. m&d