Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Weekend

This weekend was so much better than the last one....Started with an early sneak-out-of-the-office on Friday afternoon into the sunshine. Jamie and I walked to the newly reopened Trio (it almost burned down last December when their pizza oven caught on fire) and had delicious blood orange margaritas and pizza. Slightly tipsy we made our way over to our friends house to play an impromptu game of Settlers of Catan, one of the best board games around at the moment. Quite fun, and Olive only attacked (ran at really) their cat once.

Saturday. Waking up alone and rousing myself to make it to a 9am workout at Augies. It was hard to get there, but as I saw the remnants of the previous nights drinks drip down my face as sweat, I felt glad and proud of myself for rallying. Came home and cleaned my house and then made my way down to the studio to work. Which felt good. It is starting to feel more cozy, thanks to things on the wall and a piece of carpet, that we tore up from our upstairs, on the floor. It is great to just go down there and have nothing to do by make art, to force myself to create, even if it is just doodling. I have been thinking a lot this weekend about why it is such a force to make art, that maybe I am making myself do something I really don't want to do. And that when I get excited about seeing artwork, maybe those feelings are telling me something different than, "make art, make art, make art"....maybe I am just supposed to be around art, around artists, around creativity. I don't think that this is necessarily true for me, but it does amaze me how much of a struggle it can be. Went out for a late dinner with my friend Jen (another dinner out!) and we had good laughs and words shared.

This morning I ventured in the misty mountains with Julia. We had an ambitious route chosen, and upon climbing a couple of thousand feet, decided that the fog was too thick to keep going up. So we took off our skins and skied down the crusty snow, grateful that it was firm enough to stay on top and not posthole. We saw no one all day, and the sun was out full force in the valley. We decided to go shopping. Now, I lie contentedly in bed after a team made dinner. And sleep is heavily on the mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a treat to share your weekend with you when you live so far away. Thanks for your honest heartfelt thoughts. xom&d