Saturday, December 29, 2007

Obsessed with Olive....




I can only imagine how I would be as a mother to a human baby. My relationship with my dog of two and a 1/2 years gives some indication of the type of mother I would be. A photo-crazy one for sure but also a loving one, eager to learn how to best communicate with my little one. As friends and boyfriend can attest I am a sucker for books on dogs and how to be a better dog owner. My parents gave me Merle's Door by local Wyoming author Ted Kerasote for Christmas. I have already read the book and adored it, crying myself through the last three chapters while looking at Olive and giving thanks for her existence. I must read for sure. Thanks for having good taste Mom and Dad!


We ( Jamie, Olive and myself) all had, as Olive's photo shows, a really nice, bright Christmas. Much to be thankful for....


Last night turned into a date night, one of those evenings when I felt like I was with someone for the first time as well as with my boyfriend of four years. Which equals a great night. All the art galleries were open late, indulging visitors with wine, holiday treats and good art. My scientifically-inclined boyfriend has amazed me numerous times with the way that he can talk about artwork, often finding meanings that I haven't even thought of. His awareness seems to support the idea that anyone can talk and appreciate art and in fact, some of the best are those that appear to be furthest away from the " creative" world. After delicious buffalo burgers, catchy tunes by the Boondocks, serious conversation and some good laughs ( Jamie was cougar bait. Residents of ski towns will know what I mean.) I came home full, not just of burger but true happiness.


Unlike a few days ago when I hiked Glory on a bluebird morning, the valley stretching out below Jill and I, today was a day when being blown over on the boot pack was a good possibility. At times it was pure white-out with the winds gusting around 50 knots. And I was on skis! Relying on bad visibility and slightly out of control I made my way down Shovel Slide, making a few good turns in the process. Skiing is much more work than snowboarding. Olive became a polar bear cub, her face a mask of white with only black eyes shining through. It was too cold to pull out the camera then but this photo shows her after we reached the safety of the truck. A mix of tired-dog and slight annoyance at having her photo taken by her doting "mom" yet again.




















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have to agree that is the cutest dog we have ever seen!!!! Very photogenic!!!!