Monday, December 31, 2007

That satisfied yet slightly sad feeling you get when finishing a great book

Lounging snugly in bed on Monday morning, the last day of 2007, having just finished reading Julie and Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell and feeling blissfully hopeful and happy. This book is hysterical. It follows Julie as she tackles all of the recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a years time. I often felt like I was standing next to Julie, sympathizing with her difficulties and triumphing with her successes in the kitchen. The way that she uses words honestly and concocts sentences as if she was relaying stories to her good friends gives the book a personal feel for sure. Google the Julie/Julia Project to see her culinary journey....

I can't help noticing how the last two books I have read have been about women my age writing about projects they took on because they didn't really know what they wanted to do with their lives (before Julie and Julia I read Hack by Melissa Plaut, a chronicle about the adventures of being a female taxi driver in NYC). This book trend is not lost on me and after reading both I have felt great surges of hope that this 28-soon-to-be-29 year old will figure something magnificent out for the new year.

Celebrated my friend Becky's 30th birthday last night amongst great people and delicious pizza. It was one of those evenings where engaging conversations just continually flowed, whether or not you had a glass of wine in your hand. There are good people in Jackson, Wyoming...

I am going to write down some resolutions for the coming year on tomorrows post. I prefer to call resolutions " Things-to-Work-On" because this allows for a little more slippage. Call it a lack of willpower maybe but I like to think of it as just being gentle with myself if I happen to fall a little short of my purposed goal(s) :)

I do have some art to post too. I keep giving creations away before taking photos, a habit that I have to fall out of....My first Thing-to-Work-On.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so enjoying your blog, your a great writer. Makes me want to read those books. We want and need to see more of your art on this blog. I like that you didn't use the term of resolution, but instead gave way for some slippage, in "things to work on". We will continue to visit this blog often. DJ&MM