Monday, April 9, 2012

Yes, Yes, Yes!

What if you could unleash everything great in your life?

Oprah is a pretty remarkable woman. She has developed a Lifeclass that she is taking all over the nation, broadcasting it on her TV channel and streaming it on the web. Trying to inspire many to overcome obstacles, face their fears, live their best lives. Last week she welcomed Tony Robbins, inspirational life coach who has made it big, who talked about overcoming fear, a perfect topic for me at this place in my life. Although a bit tacky at times, a little cheeseball ( he has clients yell out Yes, Yes, Yes loudly to motivate themselves), Robbins had some nuggets to share that have stayed with me over the past week.

Firstly, he talked about the stories that we tell ourselves about ourselves. How these are often constructed from childhood, how they bear no factual evidence in regards to who we are. How we need to divorce the stories that don't serve us and create stories that do reflect our true nature. We repeat our stories, good and bad, enough times until we believe them and make them part of us.

Robbins went on to talk about massive action, living out the positive stories of ourselves through body language, the way we hold ourselves, the words we choose to speak. Find the part of yourself that is fearless and act it out, give that state of self a name and summon it out when you choose. It is how we carry ourselves.

Courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway. Our lives will be smaller by not walking through fear; by challenging ourselves to act we grow and our capacity for love blossoms. Even in small ways, small steps, moving forward reaps amazing abundance.

I like the idea of speaking to oneself in a positive voice, making a persona within (because we all have one) that lives, breathes and oozes confidence. I know that there are many stories that I have created that don't necessarily have to be true except that I make them so. That I am the shy, quiet girl unable to have a voice. That I am driftless and not a hard worker. That I don't make art regularly enough so I can't be an "artist". The lists continues. There are positive stories too, but somehow those always seem to get rather lost in the pile. Divorce those that do not serve you. There is neuroscience research that speaks to this, our ability to change our thought patterns, to coax and teach them to form new pathways that make our life richer and less degrading.

If I could unleash everything great in my life, each day, each moment, would feel like an utter gift.

No comments: