Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sunshine breaking through the clouds

The sun keeps peeking through the blanket of grey, enticing Olive and I to get our daily walk in. The day has been less than motivating, with spitting cold rain and low skies. But when you live with a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd exercise is crucial. I have noticed though, as if she is keeping an eye on the dismal weather out the window, that Olive has gone back to bed many times today.

Below is not the best example of my Photoshop knowledge but for conveniences sake this image will be used. This painting is 3 x 5 feet, probably the largest piece of art work I have ever done. It felt amazing. I discovered that I stood differently, made wider arm movements and used paint in much greater quantities when painting this big. It was freeing, almost like a different art form. I know that this has opened up the door to new experiences, as scary as it also is. There is great metaphor in making big art when you are trying to be brave and put yourself out there as an artist.

This new discovery of working big is due to a four-day workshop that I took at the Art Association called Mixed Media: Engage your Creative Potential. An inspiring group of supportive women and an encouraging teacher made the weekend almost a therapy session of sorts. Check out www.laurenmantecon.com ( the instructor) as well as www.artassociation.org.


5 grateful's for today:
1. Inspirational friends. Thank you Julia and Ben.
2. Firewood right outside my door
3. Having a wonderful library in Jackson
4. Fresh coffee made by my boy
5. Lyle Lovett

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.