Monday, March 22, 2010

A Weekend of White

I was sort of doubtful about "the moment".  I amaze myself that I can be so cynical; I remember being that way about ever finding someone who I would want to share my life with. My cynicism has shifted on that topic (perhaps aided by realizing the falsity of the fairy tale Prince Charming story).

I went on my wedding dress hunt in Chicago excited to just try on fancy dresses. I knew that I had my bargain wedding dress hanging in my closet at home, that a part of me didn't really care what I got married in because, well, it doesn't really matter in the, "grand scheme of things". I was excited to be with my mom, my best friend, and my aunt, to have them present for this part of the getting-married-experience. People that I love around me was most important. And, trying on really nice dresses made of luxurious fabrics, was a bonus.

But the moment snuck up on me. It came in the midst of one of my favorite, if nerve-racking, activities: bargain shopping. And it struck me hard. One moment I was looking in the mirror at myself in the umpteenth white dress and then, the next moment,  I was tearing up. I suddenly realized that I didn't want a quiet, simple, non-obtrusive dress. I still cannot call myself someone who loves the spotlight, but I realized looking in the large, well-lit mirror that I want to be seen on July 24, 2010. And this dress won't let me back out of that.

I can't post a photo in case J takes a look at this blog.

No comments: