Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Crow Convention



Olive and I were walking up the Hagen Trail towards Snow King today, the desired direction in the later afternoon when Cache trail is a sea of people and dogs. And the crows were having a convention. Or maybe playing a game of Telephone. Or maybe protecting the dead deer that was somewhere close because a decapitated leg lay as evidence on the path, much to Olive's delight. One would caw, another would answer, and so on, down the row of fir trees.

They are such amazingly smart birds. Common, but really beautiful with their dark, iridescent feathers and their triangle beaks. Although I yell at them when  I see them perched on neighbors overflowing trash cans (really not entirely their fault), they are really fun to watch because they are so curious.

I had a thought, because my walks have been full of crows recently, that perhaps they need to be in an art piece soon....

No comments: