Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Next Book....

Robin and I left work today and walked to the bookstore because we have decided that in order to come up with good book club choices we need to feel the books. We are feelers. And it is true. There is something so different about looking at books and reading reviews of those books online compared with physically holding the book in your hand and turning its pages. I don't think I can ever be a Kindle reader. My eyes go googley (like that word!) enough already at the computer, and I don't need to be staring at another piece of technology to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes. Plus, there really is something to be said for holding paper in your fingertips, for the history that resides in books and their making and creation. Maybe I am old-fashioned in this regard, but I am steadfast at least.

Bookstores are so enticing. I can feel my pulse quicken in them, similar to what happens when I walk into a gallery that has an amazing show. I could walk out with piles, and feel thankful that I am such a good library patron or else I would be poor. I have already told Jamie that I feel that money is not wasted on books though, and that we will have large bookshelves, both to house our collection already and make room for books to come.

I am excited to see what our next book club read will be....I will let you know!

No comments: