Monday, November 8, 2010

Weekend in the Big City of SLC

I missed this blog this weekend. There were many times when I thought to myself, " I need to write this down for the blog, since I won't get to post today". 

I traveled down  to Salt Lake City with friends to meet up with Jamie, who was down there for a conference/training. The big city. It is definitely a city, but really lacks a feeling of hipness for sure, although the surrounding mountains are gorgeous. If you can see through the smog that is, usually present in the valley. No, I make it sound awful. In fact Salt Lake City proper is an interesting mix of people, a population that sticks it to the small towns that surround the city and that exude Mormanism.

Jamie and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco because his work was paying. The Kimpton hotel chains www.kimptonhotels.com are a whole lot of fun, and you can get good rates occasionally. Everything is really funky, colorful decor; they love dogs and encourage you to bring your furry friend (if you don't, you can get a goldfish for your room); they serve wine and cheese every afternoon; and the whole place smells like roses. It was a good time.

Friday: A morning of sleeping until 10am, followed by a leisurely cup of coffee and a stroll to a cafe for brunch. People still have flowers in their gardens and the air is so warm a t-shirt is all you need. I wanted Jamie to get his Tarot cards read at this book store we stopped at, but he didn't. Home material hunting. The daunting store of Ikea, which really is just a bunch of crap that sometimes looks good, and the arrows that you must follow if you want to get out alive. The search for bathtub tile, but not before whipping a louie and returning to the newly opened In and Out Burger....chocolate shake for me, chocolate shake and burger for Jamie. Feels like we are in California with the warm temps and the small fast food chain.

Saturday: A day alone. I walk down to the Gateway Mall in shoes that will eventually give me blisters on both of my little toes. I always get so excited to go shopping. I don't know if it is because I live in a town of little choice, but very quickly the exercise becomes overwhelming and every article of clothing feels like it will fall apart after one wash. Why is everything so cheaply made these days? It makes me angry, because some of it still costs a lot of money. I feel gross most of the day with my consumption, moving with the masses like a herd of sheep, overwhelmed that this is some peoples reality every weekend. I much prefer sticking to the thrift stores, where you can find the designer labels and only pay three dollars. Although, I was really hoping for a pair of boots....Dinner with good friends makes up for it all.

Sunday: A climbing day. A love of mine, as well as a struggle. We traveled up Big Cottonwood Canyon, the city dropping away and making room for red maples and tall pines and rock faces. So beautiful and so peaceful. My mind was not at peace with the climbing process though and I quickly realized a hike by myself was more my speed. It has been so interesting to me to notice my great need recently to be alone. I think that is why I missed Olive so much this weekend, because I was enjoying being alone with only dog-company. Slightly frustrated with my lack of interest in climbing, I made out up along this ridge line, switch backing up and up until the trail crested and I had a view of the entirety of the canyon, snow topped peaks behind. That made up for any frustration.

Whew. Now I am home and it feels good. Just got home from being a ballerina and am excited to climb into my own bed. 

No comments: