Sunday, April 11, 2010

Feeling Rock Again

On Saturday morning we woke up early, filled the camper fridge, loaded an anxious Olive into the truck, and made our way to Lander. It was my first time climbing outside this year, a position that always makes me a little nervous as well as more than excited. There is no comparison between climbing in the gym and feeling plastic under your fingers to scaling a problem up a wall of stone, your pads slowly becoming toughened by the reality of rock. The sun was warm, enough to wear the flip-flops.

What I love about climbing is that everything else melts away. More than any other sport, the details of life take a back seat when you are tied into the end of a rope. All attention has to be on the project at hand; a wonderful opportunity to be completely in the moment.

I did a good job of not letting my head interfere, as it sometimes does. I haven't been training in the gym, climbing is not the highest priority in my life on a weekly-basis, and I am where I am with the sport. It was about being there with J, enjoying his company and the company of R & K, who happened to also be there.

A wonderful weekend....with more to come!

No comments: