Thursday, April 1, 2010

This is What My Brother Must Feel Like...

I am on day two of a cleanse, and I have to say, I am not as chipper as I was on day one. I get to eat at least; no liquid cleanse for me. Quinoa (no chicken broth), all the veggies I want, almost all the fruit I want (as long as I eat twice as many veggies), powdery supplement shakes, and one small, small square of dark chocolate. It will be good for me....it has already tested my willpower incredibly: the woman behind me in the tram line eating a chocolate-drizzled croissant; R and H eating french fries and washing them down with a freshly made cocktail at the swanky new venue Ignite (I had tea); and J eating a juicy, perfectly grilled buffalo burger in front of me as we watched Project Runway tonight.

It is interesting to have your day structured by food, to think twice about what goes into your mouth, to create something that you cannot taste, to be more thoughtful perhaps. Already I have realized how much I snack, not always on bad things, but out of boredom. I don't think that I would like leading such a highly disciplined life all of the time; I love my butter and red wine and making homemade granola and eating a bowl of it while it is still hot, crackling in the cold milk. But there are good lessons in these ten days, about awareness and consideration and relishing the taste of simple foods....

I hope that I don't end up disliking quinoa in the end though.

No comments: