Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Happenings That Made Today Special

Olive and I walked to Putt Putt this morning, the grey clouds low but forming amazing patterns in the sky, and against the grey caught a brilliancy of orange. A tanager making his way north, stopping for a rest in a tree in an East Jackson yard. His coloring was amazing, one of those birds that you can't quite believe really exists. An omen for a joyful day.

Slightly frantic in my usual lateness to work, I pulled out of Stormy Circle and was met with an old lady, in her eighties I am guessing, with her thumb out! I of course pulled over and got the pleasure of meeting "Moosie" who had been to the hospital to get her eyes checked and needed a ride to the post office. So thankful, so sharp, so smiling and beautiful, she made my morning ride to work one of the best I have ever had. It made me realize how infrequently I am around the elderly, and how many of them have so much to teach and tell.

Watching Olive follow me dutifully around the agility course, whether I am leading her correctly or not, is always an amazing experience because it feels like we are almost one being. And her excitement when she gets it right and gets to have a treat! And my excitement when I get it right and am rewarded with her beaming grin! It doesn't seem crazy at all to me in those moments that I am willing to drive 3000 miles across this country in order for my dog to be in Maine safely and soundly this summer. She really is a friend that I receive so much from. How could I not have her there...

Sitting with a table full of ladies at Picas. Hearing stories, hardships, laughter. Recognizing how we are all so unique, but also so human at the same time. The connections of females are powerful; makes me so glad and fortunate to be a woman.

Sleep.

No comments: