Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers

I felt like a mother this morning when Olive jumped up on the bed and nestled down for her daily snuggle fest. Of course I get this every morning, but it made me feel good to think of myself as Olive's mom, as strange as that may sound.

My own dear mother is such a good one. She is one of my best friends and I wish that I lived closer to her; our distance is sometimes really hard. I would love for her and my father to come out in their little camper and stay here a long, long time. Our mom's day talk revolved around the wedding (of course), but even in that, I am so thankful to have a mother who just wants the best for Jamie and I, not the chance to recreate her own wedding day. She and my dad are putting so much into this day, perhaps more than I. Except I will have to be the one on display for the whole day (or week), which is a position that I will need to practice.

Today I thought about how many mothers I know that are my age, how magically and miraculously they have reached motherhood. Which means that I am that age as well. Time goes so quickly. Songs from high school come on the radio and, in some ways, I feel like teenagerdom was yesterday. Amazing that so many of my friends are mothers, some have been for a while, while I struggle to be a good dog mama everyday.

Being a mother, any parent really, is so awe inspiring. I respect that women take that journey, sacrificing so much. Although, many have told me, including my own, that it was the best decision they ever made.

Olive is my baby now. Someday she will have to share me with a little person.

No comments: