Friday, May 28, 2010

Birds

It was so warm today. By nine o'clock I was in a tank top and my workout pants. I took Olive down to the dike for a run/walk (I had already worked out with Augie) so that she could stretch her dog legs.

Immediately we were met with bird chirps and the honk of geese. The swallows were diving in the air, a duck was bobbing in the river, and a flicker was perched on the fence post. Hawks were soaring above and the robin, whose tune is so lovely, was singing in the high trees.

My mind immediately went to the list of birds I heard named on Democracy Now the other day, birds that  my mom has pointed out to me in Florida for the past two years, birds who have supplied so much pleasure in their beauty, mannerisms, and overall presence. Now they are all threatened due to the ineptitude, disfunction, and greed of big business, namely BP, although our government has been slow in a response as well.

It makes me so happy that the birds are singing where I live, that I am fortunate enough to have birds that want to sing and be bird-like, and my heart goes out to all of the species that are being effected by this disaster.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had that same experience with the birds in my yard this morning. They were singing for their broken winged friends in the South, or were they crying???