Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sex and the City: old memories, new memories

The movie theater was all women tonight; women of all shapes and sizes and ages, some boisterous and cat-calling, some dressed to the tee and chic. The energy was invigorating. And we were all gathered to watch Carrie, Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte take the screen yet again in the rather embarrassingly entertaining sequel Sex and the City 2. Not quality film-making by any means, but rather a decadent display of fashion, frivolity, and relationships, the movie reminded me of how much I loved getting lost in the TV series.

Memory: I remember my first year in Jackson, sitting on the basement couch in our Cache Creek Dr. house, eating popcorn with C. and watching episode after episode of Sex and the City. Characters with worlds so different from our own, yet the messages in the series often spoke to our own lives. And the fashion was always so much fun to witness and drool over. Carrie's bravery when it comes to dressing remains an inspiration to me to this day.

Don't go to this movie for content, great plot, or witty writing, but rather for the nostalgia it invokes and the escapism that it provides.

Memory: I now have a great memory of leaving the Pearl St. theater with A and S, dressed in my Marc Jacobs shoes that I got at Browser for a dollar (Carrie would approve of the brand, maybe not the method secured) that match my jacket, big earrings, tight jeans, feeling happy to be a woman yet again. The air is warm, all the ladies exiting the theater are laughing, and I feel like I have gone on a journey.

No comments: