Friday, May 7, 2010

Remembering What it is All About...

Today I rode the pre-wedding roller coaster, complete with large hills and low valleys. Crying one moment and laughing the next. When I answered C's phone call crying, she thought something had happened to Olive. It made me realize how trivial my tears really were....losing my favorite pooch in the whole world would be hundreds of times worse than not having bridesmaid dresses available. Put it in perspective.

I also realized as the day went on how easy it is too lose track of what this wedding is really about. It is incredibly easy to get wrapped up in details that no one, including myself, will probably remember. But those details are also what make it unique, us, special. It is a complicated balance between being okay with what is and striving to have a beautiful event. There is so much pressure on the day, when really the importance is in the journey afterwards; meshing your life with someone else is an adventure, even if you have lived with that person for almost seven years already.

It is about families and friends coming together. J said to me in the car the other day, "it will be nice to have a small wedding, to really be able to spend time with the people who are there...". And I thought that he was really bummed that more people weren't coming. That is what it is about, and I am trying to keep that forefront in my mind, even when bumps come along.

Tonight, a couple of Jackson friends told me that they were coming to Maine. I thought they weren't going to make it because of the distance and price, but they are going to make it happen. It filled me with love. Having people from all facets of my life coming together with those that make up J's life will be such a magical occurrence. I am looking forward to that more than anything....

No comments: