Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Always Thinking...or How my mind can decide on a different, new occupation every week

Ever since the leadership workshop, when I identified myself as a relationship master and one who is a good listener, I have had art therapy/counseling on the mind. I hesitate to even share with the world that this is my latest occupation consideration, seeing that I seem to come up with a new one every week or so, but this feels like a safe space :)

It is such a blessing and a curse to have so many interests that can excite, inspire, and make you dream hard. In the past month I have gone from thinking about going back to school to be a graphic designer, an artist (do you need school for this?), an arts administrator, and now, art therapy, a topic that I thought about back when I was a senior in high school. I can get revved up about all of these things for different reasons, while also finding reasons why they aren't quite right or desirable enough to spend the time on money on. I see fear rising its ugly head for sure, but also the realization that I am a renaissance women of sorts. I find joy sitting in front of a computer creating graphic posters. I am blissed out when I am in the throes of a wonderful art project. I have some great ideas about how to lead an arts organization. And the idea of helping people and making the world a better, more art-loving place through counseling and art-making sounds amazing.

I get scared about my age sometimes. I don't want to bring a child into this world and not have done something with my own life that I feel really passionate about. I can look back over the last ten years and be extremely happy with the gifts that have been presented to me and the experiences I have had. But I can also see where I may have dragged my feet, not wanting to make decisions. 

I need to keep considering my options, thinking like a good relationship master does. But the time to act needs to come soon as well, because the weeks turn into months turn into years too quickly. And I have so much to do.

No comments: