Friday, October 15, 2010

Leadership

Today I participated in a leadership workshop, led by two women who formerly worked for NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School), and it was excellent. Not surprisingly the whole class was women (apparently men don't feel like they have to work on leadership :) ), which made it really nice and made me think of Smith.

Our first exercise was to put ourselves into a quadrant depending on whether we tended to show our emotions or not, and whether we were vocal and outspoken or more of a listener and thinker. The four quadrants were: the drivers (nonemotional and vocal), the analyst architect (nonemotional and thinkers), the relationship masters (emotional and thinkers), and the spontaneous motivator (emotional and vocal). I was the only relationship master in the group. It was then interesting to explore how those in different quadrants work with one another most effectively, and to realize that there is just not one way to be a leader. It was sort of like a four hour therapy session of sorts, which I loved.

I got a great deal out of this experience. If anything, just being validated that my innate nature is perfectly okay, and in fact quite a valuable resource to an organization. It isn't that I didn't already realize this, but I find these sorts of exercises completely reaffirming and inspiring.

I also realized that I have to trust myself more. I can continue to be a good listener, but can also open up my mouth a little more often.

No comments: