Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Days

Jamie and I spent all day cleaning the downstairs kitchen and moving our bedroom to the basement as well. It was hard work, but gratifying and the first step towards our renovations on the upstairs floor. This little house needs so much help and we are eager to help make it stronger, more functional, and beautiful. Although we didn't even step outside today (Olive did to accompany Eliah to his weekly acupuncture appointment around the corner. Olive loves her uncle.) it was a fulfilling day, with obvious results at the end of the day. I like that type of work sometimes. I am trying to look at this move to the basement as exciting, like we are moving into a new house for a few months. While cleaning, I came up with the idea of having a birthday dance party in our empty upstairs next weekend. Will be a perfect opportunity--all of the furniture will be gone and we won't have to worry about ruining anything because it is all going bye-bye soon after.

I have decided some new actions for my life in the last few days. I have been feeling the overwhelming weight of my birthday, not because it is my 32nd but because it is the due date for many grad school applications. I am not prepared to send in applications, and that fact has been bothering me, hanging over my head. But yesterday an art space opened up at Teton Artlab, an amazing room that costs very little and is housed in the midst of many talented artists of all genres. And I got asked by my co-worker Jen to do an installation for a dance piece she is choreographing. An art project to work on and a space to do it in. I am agreeing to both.

And with that, my decision has been made. I feel really good about it. I was attempting to do too many things to prepare for an art therapy program in a short amount of time. I am still going to take a psychology class and I am still going to go visit Naropa, because I don't want to close doors completely. But the fact is, I am not ready to take four pre-req.'s before August, shoot a body of artwork that I feel good about, figure out who to ask for recommendations, and wrap my mind around leaving my life here to live for three years in Boulder.

Now my challenge is to carve out quality time in my new studio, to not push my art to the side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on Girl!!! Sounds like an amazing weekend on many fronts. Epiphany perhaps??? What fun to work with other artists......m&d